Marriage is a serious matter. You must only enter into it if you and your partner are prepared in all aspects of your lives. It is a huge leap from being in a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship. To be certain, it will help if you will undergo premarital counselling before tying the knot. This kind of counselling is a therapy that aims to help couples prepare for their married life.
It is essential to know about how to win back your ex with the understanding of the facts. It will help in the achievement of the goals. There is meeting of the needs and requirements of the people with learning about the facts. You should collect entire information about it for having success.
More about Premarital Counselling
This is done by licensed therapists who have a graduate or postgraduate degree. Most of them are part of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. You can choose to undergo the sessions voluntarily or do this as part of the requirements of your religious affiliation before getting married.
What You Ought to Know about the Process
Here are the basic things that you have to know about premarital counselling. These details will help you prepare for the process to make it easier for you and your partner to go through this together.
- The sessions aim to help you build a strong bond with your partner by learning to understand one another. By the end of the therapy, it is expected that you have developed a healthier and more mature relationship, which can become more stable once you have married.
- The counselling will open your eyes to all the aspects that you and your partner must both deal with once you are married. You will be asked to discuss what you think and plan regarding the decisions after getting married, finances, having children, intimacy, beliefs and many more. You will be surprised to learn a lot more about your partner after going through this. Take this chance to analyse if you have really found the right person whom you can last spending each day with.
- The sessions will allow both you and your partner to open up about your expectations once you are married. Make sure that you only set realistic expectations. You must never expect something extraordinary to happen or change just because you have tied the knot. Both of you must have a positive attitude regarding the road that you are about to take.
- This is your chance to make each other understand the reasons why you are getting married. It is only usual that the two of you have different expectations, but the more important thing is to learn to understand the differences and find ways to support one another from here on.
- It is important that you find the right person who will perform the premarital counselling. Ask for recommendations from friends, priests or certain health agencies. Once you have found the right professional, make sure that you are aware of the schedule of the sessions and how long this would last. To help you in finding a good therapist, you can ask for their credentials, experience and educational background. Make sure that you are aware from the start how much the counselling would cost. You would not want to commit to something that you cannot afford because this will only lead to problems, which you certainly do not need now that you are thinking about getting married.
- The first session usually includes “getting to know you” kind of activities. You and your partner will be given a separate assessment questionnaire to help the therapist understand your similarities and differences. You have to be honest in answering the material. This will assess your strengths and weaknesses, and other factors that are important in order to make the marriage work.
- The next sessions will explore what you and your partner have written in the forms and what you have told the therapist. They will guide you to learn more about one another, deal with each other’s strengths and weaknesses, and make sure that you are both aware of anything that might taint the relationship once you have gotten married.
- Instead of getting the jitters in opening up to a stranger about your fears, excitement and expectations about the marriage, you must take this chance to finally get to know more about your partner in all aspects. This way, it will be easier for the two of you to accept the person whom you both really are before walking down the aisle and plan for the rest of your future.