Breathwork is a form of self-care that’s gaining traction in the health and wellness world. It involves different breathing techniques and exercises to help you relieve stress, increase energy levels, and improve overall health. But did you know functional breathwork can also help boost your immune system and fight inflammation? Let’s explore how it works.
What Is Functional Breathwork?
Functional breathwork is a type of therapeutic breathing technique designed to have a direct effect on physiological functions in the body. This includes processes such as reducing inflammation, improving digestion, calming the nervous system, and boosting immunity. The practice typically involves deep abdominal breaths, visualization techniques, movement or stretching to release tension from your body and mind.
Benefits Of Functional Breathwork For Immunity & Inflammation
The benefits of functional breathwork are many – particularly when it comes to improving immunity and fighting inflammation:
1) Stress Reduction:
One of the most powerful ways functional breathwork helps boost immunity is by reducing stress which has been linked to increased inflammation in the body. When we breathe deeply using this type of therapy, we induce relaxation which reduces cortisol levels (the stress hormone). This helps reduce inflammation caused by chronic stress so that our bodies can focus on healing instead.
2) Improved Circulation:
By increasing oxygen intake through deep breathing, functional breathwork improves circulation throughout the body which helps fight infection-causing bacteria and viruses while also helping to detoxify our systems naturally.
3) Clearer Mindset:
Another major benefit of functional breathwork for immunity is its ability to clear our mindsets so that we can think more clearly about our health goals. When we’re stuck in negative thought patterns or feeling overwhelmed by life’s demands, it’s hard for us to make mindful decisions about how best to take care of ourselves – including eating a healthy diet or getting enough exercise – all essential for keeping our immune systems strong!
4) Better Sleep Quality:
A quality night’s rest is crucial for optimal physical functioning, including maintaining a healthy immune system. Poor sleep can lead to higher levels of inflammation in the body due to the increased production of inflammatory cytokines (hormones produced during times of stress). Practicing functional breathwork before bedtime allows us to relax into deeper states more quickly so that we can get better quality sleep each night – thus helping keep inflammation at bay!
How To Get Started With Functional Breathwork
It doesn’t take much effort or time commitment to start practicing functional breath work; just 10 minutes each day can make a huge difference in your overall well-being! Here are some tips on how to get started today:
• Find yourself a comfortable space where you won’t be disturbed – this may be indoors or outdoors, depending on what works best for you personally;
• Start off with basic diaphragmatic breathing exercises like inhaling deeply through your nose while expanding your belly outwards then exhaling slowly through your mouth;
• As you continue practicing, begin adding elements like visualization techniques where you imagine sending healing light into every part of your body; or simple stretches/movements that feel good and allow tension within your muscles/joints/mind to release;
• Experiment with different combinations until you find something that resonates with both mind & body –this could include incorporating mantras such as “I am relaxed & I am safe” etc.;
• Finally get creative & add any little touches that bring joy into your session such as playing soothing music or lighting candles if desired!
Boost Your Immune System Naturally With Functional Breathwork
At its core, functional breath work offers an accessible way for us to tap into our natural healing capacity without having to rely heavily on medication or invasive treatments – making it an ideal tool to use when looking to optimize & strengthen our immune systems holistically! So why not give it a go today?